During my winter break I was indulged in only three things : Reading, writing and baking. I did an equal amount of all the three things but what I did the most was baking. To tell the truth, I am a very moody person; I am not able to do any work until and unless I am into it or I want to do it. But I was determined to make these holidays a tad more productive than my previous ones, so I took out a set of cookbooks to pass my time and also, to please my taste buds. My eyes were only on the desert book, so I kept aside the other books and went through the desert ones.
I baked a lot of stuff like a dry chocolate cake, brown sugar cookies, vanilla butter cake, a cake with icing and brownies. So, I decided to try my hands on a different type of cake and that too on my parent’s wedding anniversary. I asked everyone at home not to order a cake as I was going to bake one (I was scared, to be honest)
To bake the cake, follow the recipe :
– 4 large eggs
– 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar
– 3/4 cup oil
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– a pinch of baking soda
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. beat eggs and sugar with an electric beater till 2-3 times in volume and very frothy.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa and baking soda. Keep aside.
3. Add the oil gradually to the frothy egg mixture and keep beating slowly. Add extract. Mix.
4. Using a wooden spoon, fold in flour gradually, a little at a time. Do not over mix. Fold gently.
5. Transfer to a greased and lined round tine of 9″-10″ diameter. Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit/180 degree Celsius for 30-35 minutes.
6. Test the cake by inserting a clean knife in the center of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, the cake is ready. Remove from the oven.
7. Remove the cake from the tin after 5 minutes.
For the Chocolate Ganache
1. Heat a pan and add one and a half fresh cream.
2. Melt three medium sized Cadbury bars and add it to the cream. Mix well.
3. Keep aside the pan to cool and cover the cake with it.
4. Decorate the cake with chocolate chips and silver edible sugar pearls.
– If you do not have an electric beater to beat the eggs, you can make them frothy in a mixer also. For beating eggs in a mixer, first beat the egg white and when it turns frothy, add the egg yolk.
– Apart from a round tin, you can also use a different shape with the same measurements.
– Baking time will differ according to the flexibility of the mixture. If you think that the cake isn’t done in 30-35 minutes, give it more time.
– Lastly, the best way to bake a perfect cake is to follow the recipe EXACTLY. I followed the recipe as it is, and the cake turned out to be perfect.